Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Bill Monroe - I Saw the Light 1958

Bill Monroe is one of my favorite Bluegrass musicians.  I have a weird affinity for gospel music from anywhere in the world.  It's interesting how many of the musical elements are extremely similar, most notably the 1-4-5 (G C D for example).  Out of the plethora of folk gospel music from the United States, though, the reason why I am particularly attracted to Monroe, other than the fact that he is a sexy bastard, is probably because they just have such strong and tight vocal harmonies AND the man invented the term Bluegrass.

The name hails from his band's name, Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys.  Bill Monroe himself came from a Baptist family and was the youngest child in a family full of musicians.  His older brothers played the guitar and fiddle respectively, so Bill was resigned to the mandolin.  They formed groups in Indiana where they were workers in oil fields and formed many groups, most notably the Monroe Boys while they were there.    




















Tracklist:

1 - I Saw the Light
2 - Life's Railway to Heaven
3 - Lord, Lead Me On
4 - Wayfaring Stranger
5 - A Beautiful Life
6 - Precious Memories
7 - House of Gold
8 - I've Found a Hiding Place
9 - Jesus Hold My Hand
10 - I Am a Pilgrim
11 - Lord, Build Me a Cabin in Glory

http://www.mediafire.com/?nydzntamz2j

No comments: